Re: libprigraph dumping core on cygwin/XP

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 26 Dec 2003 12:07:51 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Richard!

On 26 Dec 03 at 05:08, "Richard" (Richard Morgan) wrote:

 Richard> Hi All,

 Richard> I am trying to get Prima1.13 (rebuilt from source) working on
 Richard> cygwin running on a XP(Japanese) machine. Everything works except
 Richard> that the codec test dumps core. I have rebuilt the cygwin perl
 Richard> from source and also downloaded the 5.8.2 stable perl and rebuilt
 Richard> that but neither works. I am using the gcc to do the build and I
 Richard> have downloaded the prigraph libs from primaeu.org. If I say
 Richard> WANTNOCODECS it works. (which is to say that the codecs test is
 Richard> the only one that fails.).

I also experienced coredumps with cygwin loading gif files, but rather
when Prima was compiled with libungif - libprigraph, on the contrary,
worked well. See, if it is really libprigraph and not libungif, Makefile.PL
reports what codecs are found. If it is, the only remedy is to compile
prigraph from source and see where's the problem. The source is
at http://www.prima.eu.org/download/libprigraph.zip, but be warned it is
a mess.

 Richard> The codec test gives a segementation violation and if I run VB it
 Richard> fails to load the images.

You might try simplier pieces of code to try, like,

   perl -MPrima -e 'Prima::Image->load(q(Prima/VB/VB.gif), index => 1)'

and see if it coredumps as well.

 Richard> One thing is that the screen is an SXGA (1400, 1050). Does
 Richard> prigraph.lib make any assumptions about the screen dimensions?

Not at all.

 Richard> Has anyone tried this before and seen this problem? If I rebuild
 Richard> as standard is it using the libprigraph.a and not the
 Richard> prigraph.dll?

As far I have experienced, it uses something named like libprigraph.dll.a
for building executables that depend on libprigraph.dll, and libprigraph.a
(theoretically) is for the static linking, independent of the .dll,
although I didn't test for the latter case.

 Richard> Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Thanks and happy new year!

--
Sincerely,