Re: Startup problems

From: Norbert Schmidt <N.Schmidt_at_inka.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:49:38 +0100
To: "prima_at_prima.eu.org" <prima_at_prima.eu.org>

Hello Dmitry,

>It seems the problems are due to incorrect determination of
>Win98/SE version - at least this is my guess.
>
>You can check if it's true by inserting the following string
>in your code right after 'use Prima' statement:
>
> Prima::Application-> sys_action('win32.SetVersion 98');
>or, probably, '95' .

I tried both in calendar.bat und editor.bat - same as before. So that's
probably not it.

>If you already have VC installed, tell me what does the
>following code print out on your machine:

Seems quite sensible:
>Windows 98
>GetVersion:c0000a04
>GetVersionEx:PlatformId:1,Major:4,Minor:10

There's another possibility: Most of the stuff (including Windows ;-))
are installed in non standard places. Do you perhaps look for fonts or
drivers in a hard coded place? On my machine the fonts are in
"D:\WINDOWS\FONTS", not "C:\...".

>I myself hardly managed to get lot of things compiled properly on win9x.

Well, I can do it. After all, that's how I earn my money. I just want
to avoid the hazzle, whenever possible. ;-)

>Prima::Edit is not something you compare to Emacs or Vim :)

Sure. Those are mighty ancient beasts while Prime::Edit is more like a
new born infant. ;-)
But they are so huge that it is hard to do some fundamental changes.
E.g.: I always hate it when the cursor is forced left to the end of
line on vertical movement. It'll probably take months to find all the
places in Emacs and its macros that need patching to be aware of such
an option. (I had a short look ...). Another point I hate with most
editors is the limited tab managment ...

>It's been
>designed four years ago, with the idea to make something that would
>suffice as a simplest possible multiline editor.

That's what I liked from the start.

>Although it has nice things like syntax highlighting

Well, that's one thing I'ld rather seperate from the kernel and make
into an optional plugin. I would leave a general text marking interface
where syntax not only sytax highlighting can dock but also other fancy
marking features (enhanced blocks, search results, text marker, diffs,
errors and warnings, ...). It would also simplify adapting the syntax
highlighting to other strange languages.

>or vertical blocks, in general it
>needs some more polishing before it can pose as a coder's tool.

At least there aren't megabytes of existing code in our way. ;-)

>That is a great idea. The one thing that screams out is lack of undo
>feature there. Since implementing this requires changes in internal
>data layout, I do not know if it is better to start a new, powerful
>editor widget, or work on Prima::Edit until it shines.

My first impression is, that it is rather nice as it is now. May just
the undo feature (that should definitely go into the kernel, maybe with
an external manager) and some well defined interfaces where extentions
can be plugged in.

This way the widget can stay small and manageable. The extentions
neccessary for a programmers tool would be in similary manageable
packages.

Regards,
Norbert

PS: Could you teach majordomo to set an appropriate "Reply-to:" in the
header? I'm lazy and tend to forget to check the "To:" field when I
reply.