Re: Startup problems

From: Norbert Schmidt <prima_at_n-schmidt.inka.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:31:19 +0100
To: "prima_at_prima.eu.org" <prima_at_prima.eu.org>

Hello Dmitry,

>Try once again; I was careless enough to post before the compilation
>has finished.

Here it comes - now here's more Detail confirming the problem:

>T:\t\perl\site\lib\examples>calendar.bat
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3
>enter: chars 0 - 255
>GetTextMetricsW failed
>GetTextMetricsA succees
>Bitmap, mark 1
>Bitmap, mark 2
>Bitmap, mark 3

>If it indeed so, as an immediate patch try to change all
>code from GetTextMetricsW( dc, &tm) to GetTextMetricsA( dc, ( TEXTMETRICA*)
>&tm);

Well, I'll try it.

>The solution won't be complete, though. I think I need to find
>Win9x box soon .

Well, all the ancient A-stuff works on NT as well as on 9x. So you can
save yourself a lot of trouble if you just completely ignore all the
fancy W-Stuff. That's what I do. One of my work fields is writing small
games that must run on almost any machine with Windows (Well, at least
3.11 is really dead by now!;-)). E.g. I still have to stick to DirectX3
since that is the latest version that runs on NT 3.5 ...

Regards,
Norbert