Re: Prima & Debian

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 21 Nov 2003 23:40:04 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Serge!

On 21 Nov 03 at 18:07, "Serge" (Serge Olkhowik) wrote:

 Serge> Hi!

 Serge> Is there any debian-ready packages of Prima?

No, I don't know how to make any.

 Serge> I tried to search www.apt-get.org - nothing :(

 Serge> So I want to build deb by myself.

 Serge> First I tried to compile 1.12 and I got one error which was
 Serge> discussed before about codec_Xpm.c, so my solution is:
 Serge> #undef Font #undef Drawable #undef Bool #undef Window #define
 Serge> ComplexShape 0 #define XBool int #undef Complex #undef FUNC
 Serge> #include "img.h" #include "Icon.h" #define Drawable XDrawable
 Serge> #define Font XFont #define Window XWindow #include <X11/xpm.h>

1.13 is out - the trouble with codec_Xpm.c is fixed there.

 Serge> I know about CVS but I want to prepare automatical creating of
 Serge> deb-packages ;)

 Serge> So first I try 1.12.

 Serge> Next question is about 'install'. I have such line in my 'rules':

 Serge> perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr

 Serge> But 'make install' copies files into
 Serge> `pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/local/perl/5.8.1.

This is normal, perl has elaborate installation tree rules
which modules usually follow.
I would recommend to check how debian handles other
perl packages, which install same way as Prima do.
Otherwise, you'll run into trouble figuring out the correct location for
.pm files which need to be put under correct version path
(5.8.1 in your case), and (if ever) arch-dependent Prima.so.

 Serge> So I have to modify Makefile.PL and change $Config{installsitearch}
 Serge> to $Config{installvendorarch} and so on.

Don't - run perl Makefile.PL INSTALLSITEARCH=myfolder

 Serge> I understand that local tree should be used for usual installation.
 Serge> But standard tree should be used for Debian.

 Serge> So I made these changes with emacs's simple 'replace-string' and
 Serge> how will I do it for automatical build? But I guess it would be
 Serge> simple like sed.

 Serge> Next question - when creating Makefile I got message:

 Serge> *** Warning (probably harmless): `gdbm' library not found ***
 Serge> Warning (probably harmless): `db' library not found

 Serge> Are these libriaries (developer parts) required for Prima run?

Most probably no. These libraries are present in perl's Config.pm,
and either it is a non-significant error, or debian stores these in
an unreachable LIBPATH.

 Serge> I tried examples and I got a trouble:

 Serge> - Default font in all applications is very small as compared with
 Serge> Win32. Only font in entry field in 'e' example is normal and
 Serge> selected font in 'fontsel' is looking good to.

 Serge> Is it normal?

No. 1.13 supports lot of command-line arguments, run the suspicious
program with --debug=mf . Alternatively, the trouble may be with your
X server's resolution. By default, font size is 10 points. If you've
got Prima compiled with xft, try --font=Arial-12 ( if don't,
--font=-*-*-*-*-blablabla-fixed- ) and see what happens.

 Serge> And one more question - does Prima support utf-8?

Yes.

 Serge> want to use perl-5.8 with utf-8, bind to database (IB/FB) with
 Serge> utf-8 coding (or cp1251 with some own recoding) and use current
 Serge> locale keyboard input (X11 or Win32) and get a sweet life? ;)

Sounds sweet enough :)

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry