Re: Prima documentation for ActivePerl

From: Sangqar (Sean Healy) <sangqar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:15:52 +0000
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

> David> prima_at_BSD-Dk.dk: ActivePerl has an HTML tree with all the perldoc
> David> pages under C:\Perl\html. Is there a way to generate the Prima
> David> documentation as HTML pages and get them into the ActivePerl
> David> scheme? Simply dropping an HTML document into the tree doesn't do
> David> it (didn't think so, but I tried anyway).
>
>Don't know right now, need to investigate if there's any automation.
>In the meantime you can try Prima's podview, which doesn't rely on
>pod files hyperstructure as it seems ActivePerl does.

There are some undocumented modules that begin ActivePerl:: and
ActiveState:: (look in your libpath). Here's some code I wrote:

CODE STARTS

# this program will update all your HTML docs
# and output HTML suitable for perltoc.html

use ActivePerl::DocTools::Tree::HTML;
use ActivePerl::DocTools::TOC::HTML;

# update HTML
#ActivePerl::DocTools::Tree::HTML::Update();

# generate TOC HTML
print ActivePerl::DocTools::TOC::HTML->new->TOC();

CODE ENDS

Notice that it outputs HTML, so you need to run something like:

perl gendocs.pl > perltoc.html

(Of course, you don't have to call it 'gendocs.pl'.)

I assume that the Active* modules are available on all ActivePerl
distributions, so this should work for any ActivePerl no matter your OS

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.