Re: like XML editor

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 24 Feb 2004 15:05:00 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi h-taguchi!

On 24 Feb 04 at 12:28, "h-taguchi" (h-taguchi ) wrote:

 h-taguchi> Hello, I'm rather new to Prima, knowing it for many months but
 h-taguchi> not yet making a application with Prima. This time I made 3
 h-taguchi> XML files for my new system. These defines record formats and
 h-taguchi> so forth. These XML are changed not so often. I like to
 h-taguchi> create a editor with Prima. I can edit them by hands but not
 h-taguchi> so easy for "offset=" param. Where should I start? This
 h-taguchi> editor need not to be a multi-purposed.

It's hard to tell where to start, it would be easy for me to answer
if you'd say what your editor should look like, if there is any
existing product. AFAIU the problem I can offer you two ways:

- You can start from Prima::Edit, in this case your
editor will be more multi-purpose rather than not, but you can
heavily customize the base class for XML needs. This is not
a promising way to go, as there already is vim [1].

- If a XML editor would treat a file as a tree-like collection
of data, then a tree is to be the main structure for the editor,
and you can look at Prima::Outline then. Each individual leaf
is to be represented by a type-specific editor, be it integer or
boolean or free text.

[1] http://www.vim.org

--
Sincerely,