Re: new to Prima / Linux vs Windows question

From: Paul Archer <tigger_at_io.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:20:47 -0500 (CDT)

11:13pm, Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> Paul> Hmm...I believe I used the Activestate Prima binary. I will try the
> Paul> cygwin binary and see if there's a difference.
>
> Believe or not, but all my experience is that Prima on cygwin is actually
> _slower_ than on native win32 (I don't have numbers though).

That's good to hear, 'cause trying to get everything compiled and working
under cygwin was getting frustrating.

> Paul> 20 megapixel? As in an image approximately 4000x5000 pixels? (Just
>
> Yes, it was a 5200x3900 jpeg. Could have something to do with the processor
> L1 cache size, because jpeg compression is basically an IDCT.

Well, I tried your load test, and it looks like I was a little off in my
initial impressions. My times were similar to yours, although things are a
lot faster in Linux.
Right now I guess I won't worry too much about performance, and just
concentrate on coming up with an actual application.

Thanks,

Paul