Re: DetailedLists

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 23 Dec 2002 10:20:28 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Richard!

On 20 Dec 02 at 05:05, "Richard" (Richard Morgan) wrote:

 Richard> Hi. I admit to being new to this list, so I am not sure that
 Richard> this is the correct place for this but...

Hello. Yes, this is the very place.

 Richard> I am using DetailedLists in my application, but at create time
 Richard> the list is empty. The default width for the columns is really
 Richard> small and the columns do not take up the whole width given to the
 Richard> list. (So there is a space at the end with no colums, which looks
 Richard> kind of strange to me.)

The columns are interactively resizeable, that's why. You may
choose to use property widths, although the integer values it
operates with are absolute, in pixels.

 Richard> I modified the init routine in DetailedLists.pm so that if an
 Richard> array relWidth exists in the hash for the list then the column
 Richard> widths will be divided up according to the values specified in
 Richard> the relWidth array. That is to say if relWidth is [5,1] there
 Richard> will be two columns one of which is 5/6 of the width and one of
 Richard> which is 1/6th. This also means that the whole space is
 Richard> filled. (although there must be some small error in the
 Richard> calculation because the array is always a tiny bit wider than the
 Richard> given window). As I remember this is very similar to how Java
 Richard> Swing does it.

 Richard> So, does this sound like a useful enhancement and is there a
 Richard> proper way to get it included?

This sounds quite good, and you just send me a patch. Probably
though the better idea would be here instead of introducing relWidth
, extend the use of 'widths' property in a way as it was suggested
in Frames.pm, in your case, it would be like

   widths => [ '84%', '16%' ]

You can implement it yourself or wait until I get to the
desktop. Whatever way it will go, it's a constructive and useful
suggestion so thanks for it.

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry