Re: Few minor issues to discuss

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 27 Nov 2002 10:49:26 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Vadim!

On 27 Nov 02 at 10:52, "Vadim" (Vadim Belman) wrote:

 Vadim> I tried to use VB for my local purposes, found it useless
 Vadim> as I better do the code manually but spotted some bugs and got few
 Vadim> questions.

Thanks for a warm beginning.

 Vadim> First of all, about the bugs. When a form is loaded it
 Vadim> doesn't show menu although it's there and it gets shown again when
 Vadim> a change is made to it. Inproper form initialization from the data
 Vadim> read seems to be the cause. The fix was simple setting of menuItems
 Vadim> manually by the end of load_file method. Though it looks rather a
 Vadim> hack to me because there is no guaraty that some other property of
 Vadim> similar kind would be forgotten in the same way.

By mutual efforts, fixed.

 Vadim> Again, while reading VB pods I discovered that font size
 Vadim> change resets normal text font back to default from what I set it
 Vadim> to be. For this one I simply have no time now to fix.

Unclear... font size where? Text where?

 Vadim> Then, something more like a misbehaviour than a bug. 8) Why
 Vadim> popup menu gets called on mouse_click and ignores mouse_down?
 Vadim> Shouldn't it be the other way around? Actually, I would even
 Vadim> suggest a slightly different behaviour in these two cases where
 Vadim> after mouse_click the menu disappears when a item is choosen by
 Vadim> clicking; after mouse_down the choise is made by simply releasing
 Vadim> the button.

Is it VB-specific behavior or X11-specific? In VB, the only reference
to an explicit popup invocation is found at VB/Classes.pm:487, which
is inside ::mouse_down. Can't get your point again.

 Vadim> And now comes more significant issues.

 Vadim> Why there is no way of cleaning up (removing) a property?
 Vadim> First I thought it's needed for inserting a menu separator, but
 Vadim> adding 'Make separator' functionality is more obvious for a
 Vadim> user. 8) Still, cleanup is needed as it's the right way of making
 Vadim> use of default values. Or do I miss something?

I believe you do. Trace the effect of double-clicking on an item
in property lists. In particular, note that custom property values
are restored to default when the item is grayed.

 Vadim> And the last one. Keyboard shortcuts. I know that Dmitry is
 Vadim> used to Borland-style shortcuts, but it is deprecated novadays. I
 Vadim> have created a CVS branch for my own test-development and commited
 Vadim> suggested shortcut-changes in this branch. Have a look and say what
 Vadim> do you think.

Just fine. Thanks!

--
Sincerely,