future of prima

From: Peter Shangov <pshangov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:57:24 +0100 (BST)
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

hi everyone,

I've used Prima several times for a couple of lighweight UIs. I
eventually ended up completing all of them in Perl/Tk, mainly due to
the fact that I was more comfortable with Tk's methods for positioning
wdgets (pack, grid, etc.) and because it was easier to give Tk a Win32
look (the primary platform for those apps). But from what I've seen, in
terms of power and potential, Prima is way ahead of Tk and allows the
creation of much more complex UI items. Prima has most of the features
that Tk lacks, but still I have several questions:

* Has anybody considered implementing a resource database file for
Prima that would contain information about the look of the toolkit -
e.g. margins, colours, borders, etc, so that these could be configured
from a single place for all Prima apps. If Prima would support such
configuration, it would be easy to write a module that checks on
startup the user preferences for the current system so that Prima apps
can have the native look and feel of the current OS. As far as I gather
this would involve pure perl hacking, right? Prima, with all it can do
and native look and feel, will deffinitely make one of perl's major
killer apps, right after CPAN and the internet :)

* How feasible is it to embed the Gecko engine in Prima?

* Would you be interested in getting someone (e.g. me at some point in
the future) to work on the prima website and on spreading the word
about prima in order to make more hackers users of prima, get more
ports to new platforms and try to ensure its development would continue
even if the original creator gives it up.

cheers
petar