Re: future of prima

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 09 Jul 2003 18:52:14 +0200
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Peter!

On 09 Jul 03 at 16:57, "Peter" (Peter Shangov) wrote:

 Peter> * Has anybody considered implementing a resource database file for
 Peter> Prima that would contain information about the look of the toolkit
 Peter> - e.g. margins, colours, borders, etc, so that these could be
 Peter> configured from a single place for all Prima apps. If Prima would
 Peter> support such configuration, it would be easy to write a module that
 Peter> checks on startup the user preferences for the current system so
 Peter> that Prima apps can have the native look and feel of the current
 Peter> OS. As far as I gather this would involve pure perl hacking, right?
 Peter> Prima, with all it can do and native look and feel, will
 Peter> deffinitely make one of perl's major killer apps, right after CPAN
 Peter> and the internet :)

The resource database exists currently, but where for X11 it is XRDB, for
Win32 it's undocumented hacks with the registry. It is probably a good
idea to unify the database and make it pure-perl and portable, but, as
the usage of Prima is not that wide, I can't collect the opinions about
such change - would people need it, hate it, or just wouldn't notice?

OTOH, the problem is not that simple. The look and feel is not only colors,
which can be easily adjustable already. It is ( to me ) a number of
small changes here and there, a button looks this and a scrollbar
looks that, and I can't think of anything elegant enough to fit here.
Vadim Belman started implementing themes, but didn't finish.

What would you say makes Prima different from native look? Probably,
the most annoying things can be re-implemented now? I don't mean
sway to the M$'s way, but if a widget would gain in usability, then
it might be worthy.

 Peter> * How feasible is it to embed the Gecko engine in Prima?

I have no idea. One can always code come C/XS though.

 Peter> * Would you be interested in getting someone (e.g. me at some point
 Peter> in the future) to work on the prima website and on spreading the
 Peter> word about prima in order to make more hackers users of prima, get
 Peter> more ports to new platforms and try to ensure its development would
 Peter> continue even if the original creator gives it up.

I definitely am. If you, or someone you know, would do anything that
benefits the project, this help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry