Re: Question about Prima and Windows ME please

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 13 Sep 2003 15:54:23 +0200
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Joel!

On 13 Sep 03 at 12:42, "Joel" (Joel Martin) wrote:

 Joel> Hi there! I found out about Prima a couple of months ago and I
 Joel> think it's outstanding. I have the Prima binary distribution for
 Joel> perl build 635 functioning on my Windows 2000 PC at work and I use
 Joel> it for many things. However, I haven't been able to get it
 Joel> functioning on my Windows ME machine at home and I was wondering if
 Joel> you had any idea as to what is wrong (I suspect you've seen this
 Joel> problem before). When I try to use Prima at home I get the following
 Joel> error message:

 Joel> Can't load 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/Prima/Prima.dll' for module Prima:
 Joel> load_file:A device attached to the system is not functioning at
 Joel> C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at keys.pl line 49 Compilation
 Joel> failed in require at keys.pl line 49. BEGIN failed--compilation
 Joel> aborted at keys.pl line 49.

 Joel> I do have some ideas as to what might be wrong since I've been
 Joel> trying to get Prima working at home for some time. I've tried the
 Joel> binary distributions for both Prima-1.11 and Prima-1.12 without
 Joel> success. Also, I have ActivePerl 5.6.0 build 626 at work and there
 Joel> Prima worked right off the bat but I only have build 620 at home so
 Joel> I thought it was possible that could be the problem. Also, I've
 Joel> moved around a number of files (particularly the DLLs) at home but I
 Joel> can't seem to get rid of the above error messages. I would be VERY
 Joel> interested in any suggestions you might have; and THANK YOU in
 Joel> advance.

It seems that it is simply a binary incompatibility. If Prima dll built
for v.635 doesn't work for v.620 the simplest solution would be to install
the version of perl that does. And of course, you can always download the
source distribution and recompile.

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry