Re: extending Prima widget library...

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 08 Jan 2004 20:14:40 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Marco!

On 08 Jan 04 at 18:18, "Marco" (Marco Masetti) wrote:

 Marco> 1) I would like to extend the widget family, addressing chart
 Marco> widgets to easily build line/bar charts and other stuff that seems
 Marco> missing at the moment in the framework. I was guessing if there is
 Marco> an official widget repository apart CPAN, where one could
 Marco> eventually find third-party widgets made available by others (and
 Marco> where I could post mine). Is there such a place ?

Unfortunately extending the Prima widget family wasn't the latest kitch,
and there are almost no Prima-based code in the wild.
http://www.prima.eu.org/friends.html is theoretically the
place to collect such modules, but it's almost empty, and CPAN has none.

There aare many widgets already in the distribution, so I don't think
that creating a widget would be too hard. You're welcome to consult here
though.

 Marco> Now a -not so kind- question:

 Marco> 2) why this ML has so little traffic ? Is Prima so perfect or is
 Marco> not so much diffused ? And if the second, why ?

This question bothers me as well. AFAIU the situation, Prima target group
is already divided between those who stick to perl/Tk and those who gave up
with scripting languages and joined Qt/gtk . I hope the promotion can
change this, but I alone can't do much. A great app written with Prima
would kindle more intereset to it, let alone boost the diffusion, which
is pitifully small.

Cheers!
  Dmitry

 Marco> Thanks to all! --Marco.

 Marco> -- Marco Masetti

 Marco> Softeco Sismat s.p.a. Via de Marini, 1 - WTC 16147 Genova

 Marco> tel: +39 010 6026 333 fax: +39 010 6026 350

 Marco> web: http://www.softeco.it

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry