RE: extending Prima widget library...

From: Fiebach, Kai <Kai.Fiebach_at_mh-luebeck.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:20:19 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

To add my 2 cents:

I think Prima simply is the best GUI for Perl and I always are amazed how
easily I can implement things and do changes to extend interfaces in case of
need.

I was especially exited once I discovered how I could use the VisualBuilder
to create fm-files and load them dynamically via Prima::VBLoad. And being a
Windows guy after this I was even more exited when I figured out how to bind
all this together with ActiveStates "Perl Dev Kit" to create self-running
Windows exe's for people without Perl and Prima installed. It is
unbelievable how fast and modular you can create great looking software this
way.

But indeed until you are at this point the learning curve is *very* steep
and a tutorial would be *very* helpful. Especially a tutorial that explains
how to use the VisualBuilder and what to do to import fm files dynamically
into your Perl app, so that you can even change your GUI independently from
your Perl script. And it would be helpful to know which files you need to
bind independent applications for people who do not have Prima installed.

It took me hours to figure all this out via try-and-error myself. To have
some easy cut-and-past examples indeed could help tremendously to help
beginners:

1. How to use the VB to create/edit a window (cut-and-paste fm file)
2. How to load this window definition file dynamically into your Perl code
(cut-and-past pl file)
3. How to link widgets via the VB to function calls of your Perl module

After you know how things work all is pretty easy, but it takes a long time
to get there. I would do a little cut-and-paste tutorial myself, but I
simply have no time for this now, perhaps later in summer.

All I can say is:
Great work and many thanks for the fantastic tools, Dmitry and Co!
The tech is superb, but indeed some modular Tutorials for beginners would
make it even better :)

Kai Fiebach