Cross-platform mouse and clipboard incompatibilities

From: David Mertens <dcmertens.perl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:44:34 -0600
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

Hey everybody -

I've written a kick-ass plotting library using Prima and PDL that
introduces a new Plot widget. I'll be announcing it publicly pretty
soon, but it depends on some very recent changes to PDL, so I won't
announce it until a developer's release has been pushed to CPAN. If
you would like to check it out right now, email me and I'll send
instructions for how to build it.

My problem is that I use mouse interaction extensively. Scroll wheel
action allows users to zoom in and out, clicking and dragging with the
left mouse button pans. However, on Windows (Strawberry and Cygwin),
scroll-wheel callbacks are not called in the same fashion as on Linux
and Mac, which means scroll-wheel zooming doesn't work. Also, on
Cygwin in particular but not Strawberry, left mouse button dragging is
not reported in the same way as on all other OSes, which means panning
doesn't work. This sort of user interaction is a major feature of this
library, so I'd really, *really* like to get these working.

Another problem is that copying and image to the clipboard does not
seem to work on Mac. Again, a major feature. (It means you can throw
plots into a slide presentation very quickly via copy-and-paste,
compared with other plot libraries that require you save the file and
load it.)

My questions: Are these known incompatibilities? Should I try to find
a way to program around them? Or, should I create some simple test
applications that demonstrate the differences?

Thanks!
David

--
Sent via my carrier pigeon.