Re: Prima 1.08 font problems

From: Martin Walter <mw25_at_uni.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:28:39 +0100
To: "prima_at_prima.eu.org" <prima_at_prima.eu.org>

Hi Dmitry,

>Yes, you need to identify the font is question, because
>it could be also a Prima problem. After that, I will try to reproduce the
>conditions and see what I can do.

Interesting point. You're right it seems, the problem only exists with the default font
(Helvetica) here. When I pick any other font in examples/editor.pl, it works fine. Two more
things to consider:

1) My description of the problem was slightly wrong; when using Helvetiva, not the top 20%
of the characters are missing, but only a few pixels. This looks like about 20% when using
the default font size, but when using larger fonts, this percentage decreases, but you
still see there's a couple of pixel rows missing on top.

2) This one's more interesting. When using examples/editor.pl and typing some text where
the top few pixels are missing on each character, then after changing the font forth and
back (i.e., from Helvetica to Courier, then back to Helvetica) suddenly it even works with
Helvetica, i.e. no pixels are missing on top - however this applies only to the text
already written. When entering some more text, the new text again has the missing pixels.
Even in one line of text in editor.pl I have mixed good/bad characters then.

>I would suggest changing the default Prima font, by setting
>Prima.font string in X resource database.

I was out of luck with that. I tried setting Prima.font, Prima.Font as well as Prima*font
and Prima*Font in ~/.Xdefaults, but it still goes straight to Helvetica. Only changing the
hardcoded "Helvetica" in apt_font.c helped. Any hint or example for the .Xdefaults entry
please?

Also, I'm not sure, but the problem might also exist with other fonts. I'm using Courier as
default font now (for testing) and when going to the listbox of the examples/editor.pl font
dialog, I have the following visual effect:

- let's say one listbox entry is n pixels in height
- the selection bar however seems to be some (n-2) pixels in height only

Usually the selection bar should be a big higher and not smaller than the selected text I
think!?

Regards, Martin