Startup problems

From: Norbert Schmidt <prima_at_n-schmidt.inka.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:27:36 +0100
To: "prima_at_BSD-Dk.dk" <prima_at_bsd-dk.dk>

Hello,

I just discovered Prima and tried to install it. With my old Perl
(5.6.0, build 61x) it wouldn't work, so I installed the latest
AS-Binary (5.8.0 - build 805) and the fitting Prima (for build 804). Im
running Win98 SE.

Most things seem to work now, except for one "tiny" problem: No Fonts!
The only visible text is the system output in the title bar.
Prima::Edit (editor.bat) even dies with:
>"Illegal division by zero at T:/t/perl/site/lib/Prima/Edit.pm line 218."
- No wonder: Since no font is found, the (average) width of this font
is undefined or 0.

Other modules just barf out:
>"WIN_120 (Die Funktion ist nur im Win32-Modus g³ltig.) at line 993 in win32\gp.c"
(Meaning: "The function is only valid in Win32 mode.") This happens
appearently each time some text should be displayed.

I guess, maybe if I did a complete recompilation of Perl and Prima, it
might work. But while I wouldn't think twice doing it for Linux, I'm
rather reluctant to trust VC6 to get everything right ...

BTW: If you wonder why I'm interrested in Prima:

I've been looking for a program editor/IDE that I could customize
excessively and easily using Perl. I had a look at "vim" and my
childhood trauma "vi" came back to me. (X)Emacs would be more to my
taste, if it weren't for that <censored> Lisp. Besides, there are a few
little things where I would like to mess with its behavoir that would
really require lots of work in (*shudder*) Lisp or (maybe even
worse;-)) patches to the source. And I want it for Windows and Linux.
Then I found Prima on CPAN and loved the design from the start.

So, now I'll have a detailed look at Prima::Edit and - if I find enough
time - I may use it a base for a program editor that fits my whims. Of
course, I'll do it so that others can use it too.

Regards,
Norbert