Re: 'Illegal object reference'

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:05:14 +0200
To: lemons_terry_at_emc.com

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:56:14AM -0400, lemons_terry_at_emc.com wrote:
> I have a Perl application that I need to distribute to other people. I had
> hoped to use a Perl-to-exe converter, to create a single executable image.
> But this can't be made to work (I worked for weeks with the support groups

I don't know, I can't say the the experience I've had with Perl-to-exe
converters were pleasant, but I'm sure I was able to run Prima applications
with one of these.

> And it did, at least until I hit that 'Illegal object reference' problems.
> Marco's comments, below, make me wonder if I'm trying to do a bad thing
> (copying Perl without installing it). I know there are small Perl
> distributions available (I'm using ActiveState Perl). But, I've stayed away
> from them for several reasons, one of the main ones being that I'm using the
> Prima distribution created expressly for ActivePerl, and I was worried that
> Prima wouldn't work with other distributions.

Well it's not considered a bad thing, but neither a good. OTOH, I did that
many times myself, with very few problems. There is a chance that you
haven't copied everything or haven't done something properly though, such
as patching Config.pm if you've copied Perl into another path, or you have
older Prima/perl libraries lurking somewhere.

I'd try to debug the application, because an object doesn't get 'illegal'
just by chance. Try to find out what object that supposed to be, and try to
Carp::cluck(@_) from its onDestroy, to see what causes its premature
destruction.

/dk