Re: New to Prima

From: Dmitry Karasik <dmitry_at_karasik.eu.org>
Date: 23 Jan 2007 09:41:50 +0100
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

        Hi Mark!

 Mark> I was looking for Perl tookits and can't decide between focusing on
 Mark> Tk or Prima. Tk is definitely the standard, but with the death of
 Mark> Nick Ing-Simmons it seems like the future of the module is in
 Mark> jeopardy. Prima looks like a great package, but seems to be unknown
 Mark> among Perl users. Compared to Tk, I like how Prima is tightly
 Mark> integrated with Perl. What is the status of Prima and what plans
 Mark> are there for the future? Will Prima remain a niche toolkit for 2-D
 Mark> graphics or is the plan to compete with Tk for more mainstream
 Mark> usage?

Hi Mark,

I don't mean to disappoint you, but I'm afraid Prima was unable to compete
with Tk while it was holding its position, and is unlikely to do so now.
I have no logical explanation to this, because in many aspects Prima is
objectively superior to Tk (reverse is also true though), and the only
likely answer is that the Perl GUI niche is too narrow for more than
one toolkit, because it is also valid for explanation of the fate of
Wx and Qt perl wrappers.

The status and the plans are such that the reported bugs are fixed, but
there's currently no development, which is I guess the most practical
approach given the lack of general interest in Prima. The project will not
be abandoned, but neither it will be developed actively unless there will
be interest in it.

As to competition with Tk, I honestly have no idea how that could happen.
Possibly writing a Tk-compatible layer could be a good idea, so Tk users
could switch easily, I don't know. Anyways, you're welcome to try Prima
and see if it works for you.

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry Karasik