RE: New to Prima

From: lanas <lanas_at_securenet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:29:34 -0500
To: prima_at_prima.eu.org

Le Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:52:03 -0700,
"Mark Siner" <msiner_at_gmail.com> a écrit :

> I was looking for Perl tookits and can't decide between focusing on Tk
> or Prima. Tk is definitely the standard, but with the death of Nick
> Ing-Simmons it seems like the future of the module is in jeopardy.
> Prima looks like a great package, but seems to be unknown among Perl
> users. Compared to Tk, I like how Prima is tightly integrated with
> Perl.

I used Prima for the user interface of a build system. And I still use
it to explore programming aspects and give a friendly interface to
utilities. It is easy to learn, fast, has a visual builder, and looks
nice. It can be a bit better (eg. being able to move widgets finely
with the keyboard in VB, as well as clicking on widgets without
displacing them) but if you weigth the pros and cons, you may end up
with a lot of good things for Prima.

As for Tk, I did not like how it looks and how one must think many
aspects of widget placement (or so it seems).

Prima does not have all the fancy stuff you'll find in full-fledged tks
like Qt ot GTK, but then, these take a lot more time to get into,
notwhistanding that Qt does not have an active Perl interface.

About Wx, I think it is still developed, though, but the docs are not
up to speed, I found. It is nevertheless very interesting and has Glade
for a visual builder. Since I do a good deal of stuff in POE, I might
give Wx a bit more time eventually, although I reckon it might not be
that big of a task to somehow merge the Prima and POE loops.

Cheers,
Al